ACT Landscape Construction is a local expert when it comes to the creation of beautiful and functional gardens in Canberra. As part of our garden design service, we help clients select suitable plants and trees to suit the diverse Canberra climate. We source our plants and trees from renowned nurseries, such as Yarralumla Nursery and Downes Wholesale Nursery.
ACT landscape Construction fully supports the ACT Government’s “Climate Wise Garden” strategy.
Why is Plant and Tree Selection So Important in Canberra?
Canberra’s weather extremes (warm summers and cold winters) make plant and tree selection tricky. Plants and trees in Canberra need to be hardy: able to withstand dry summers and frosty winters. Our professional landscapers can help you select suitable plants and trees for your Canberra garden. What’s more, we’ll supply and plant them for you.
Benefits of Choosing Suitable Plants and Trees in Canberra
Choosing suitable plants and trees in Canberra has several benefits.
- Saves money (less chance of a plant or tree dying, requiring replacement).
- Birds and bees (essential for pollination) are attracted to your garden.
- Improved air quality.
- Lowers the temperature in summer (plants and trees help cool your environment).
- Reduces water usage (drought-resistant plant and tree species fare better in Canberra).
- Lowers bushfire risk (plants and trees with low flammability are necessary near natural bushland).
At ACT Landscape Construction, we select and supply plants and trees that thrive in Canberra’s dry, continental climate.
A beautiful garden requires great soil. Given that Canberra’s soil is generally clay-based and lacking in organic matter, it’s essential to nourish your garden beds with topsoil, compost, and mulch. As part of our residential softscaping service, we create garden beds that are fertilised, aerated, and supplemented with topsoil. Our team can also advise you on plant / tree positioning to deal with the natural elements (sunshine, wind, and rain patterns).